It would appear that there are many other file-sharing websites that are now in the crosshairs after the raid and destruction of MegaUpload. The file sharing site was one of the largest on the planet when it comes to user activity, and the number of files that were shared across the world every day.
Just four days ago, MegaUpload’s owners were ceased by police, their computers were confiscated for evidence, and all of the user data, both for those who uploaded content, as well as those who ever downloaded content, were also placed in federal custody. They’re examining all the files and database entries to compile a comprehensive list of everything (illegal) that MegaUpload did, or was part of in any way.
They’ll also be getting information on you… well, only if you’ve ever used MegaUpload.com for anything. This little scare tactic has been used before on many individuals in the past, but this time it’s different. This time, it’s got the attention of many other popular file-sharing sites… and they know they are next.
The United States Federal Government isn’t messing around anymore it would seem. They’ve been spending a lot of time gathering evidence and building their cases against sites similar to MegaUpload.com, and they’re now going after their competition. It’s only a matter of time before our important files becomes property of the United States Government.
Perhaps we should all consider getting our files the hell out of harms way, or at least preserving them in case they’re taken. You won’t be able to erase the fact that they once existed, but you’ll still have your own copy later when the entire network shuts down.
File-sharing sites that host files are being attacked right now. None of them are safe.
Below is a list (via pastebin) of websites that are closing up shop, or are at minimum considering shutting down before it’s too late. Some are already being pursued, and a couple have also been forcibly shut down as well by authorities. We have no way of proving that all of the content found within the post on Pastebin is factual, however simply visiting sites, such as uploaded.com for example, provides reason to believe the information has credibility. Please note also that “Closed” doesn’t necessarily mean “shut down”, and “Locked” doesn’t necessarily mean offline. It may just mean these places of business have stopped showing up for work at their buildings, and may be even on the run (like Uploaded.com). Some sites, such as Filepost, are said to be deleting everything right now.
- – MegaUpload – Closed.
- – FileServe – Closing does not sell premium.
- – FileJungle – Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
- – UploadStation – Locked in the U.S..
- – FileSonic – the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
- – VideoBB – Closed! would disappear soon.
- – Uploaded – Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
- – FilePost – Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
- – Videoz – closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
- – 4shared – Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
- – MediaFire – Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI
- – Org torrent – could vanish with everything within 30 days “he is under criminal investigation”
- – Network Share mIRC – awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.
- – Koshiki – operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- – Shienko Box – 100% working china / Korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- – ShareX BR – group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA
What do you think of all these raids? Do you use any of these file sharing websites, or have you ever downloaded anything from them in the past? I suppose this entire course of events should be a lesson to any online-based company that wishes to build a web community like the above… Don’t do ANYTHING with the United States, or within the United States… ever.
HotTips! Readers: Get Great VPS Wordpress Hosting Cheap!
HotTips! Readers can enjoy great savings with a hosting package at Pryor Media! Your WordPress website will never be that slow-loading junk that you get with shared hosts! Learn what makes Pryor Media’s WordPress Hosting different from the rest, and use coupon code “HOTTIPS” to save 20% off of your hosting subscriptions!