For some reason, we all love the Olympics. Even if we never watch another sporting event in our lives, we’ll sit down for our favorite Olympic event. Is it patriotism? Is it a favorite athlete? Or do we just like booing at the other team? Whatever the reason is, millions of Americans are watching the Olympics. The vast majority of them are doing so through NBC. And I have a problem with that.
You see, the NBC coverage of the Olympics…kind of sucks. The quality of their streaming videos is subpar, and what’s being broadcast isn’t live. Fortunately, there’s a very easy way to get around this and enjoy live, high-def coverage of the Olympics. BBC is a UK channel that has all of that available to you, but their videos are region-locked. If you don’t have an Internet connection from the U.K., you’re out of luck.
Unless you follow these steps, and trick BBC into thinking that you’re a U.K. native, without having to make up an accent (unless you want to, of course).
You need to install Unblock-Us to your PC or Mac. This will bypass most blocks setup against you, be they BBC or whatever. You have to pay if you want to keep it, but there’s a free one week trial, which is perfect. Just get rid of it after the Olympics is over.
After that, you need to enable Unblock-Us’s servers. It’s good to note that Unblock-Us can be installed and enabled on several other devices, be they iPhone, iPad, Android, PS3, Xbox 360, Internet enabled televisions, etc. The steps for each of those can be found here, but if you choose Windows 7 or a Mac as your choice of Olympic watching device, stay on this page. If need be, you can always just hook up your laptop or desktop to your television. Either way, the steps to do enable Unblock-Us are equally easy for a PC or Mac.
On Windows 7:
- Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center (Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center).
- Click “Change Adapter Settings” and click “Local Area Connection” or “Wireless Network Connection”, whichever applies to you.
- Click “Properties.”
- Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 and check Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Click “Properties.”
- Make sure “Use the following DNS server addresses” is selected, and enter the following below it: 220.127.116.11 for “Preferred DNS Server” and 18.104.22.168 for “Alternate DNS Server.”
- Click “OK” and restart your computer.
On a Mac:
- Open system preferences and open “network.”
- Unlock your Mac to allow changes. Do this by clicking on the lock at the bottom left of the window. If it’s already unlocked, leave it be.
- Select “Wi-Fi” or “Ethernet”, whichever applies to you.
- Click “Advanced” and then click the “DNS” tab at the top.
- If you see a series of black numbers, you’ll have to remove them by selecting them and clicking the minus (” – “) button at the bottom.
- If you have numbers that are shaded grey, or the black numbers are gone, click the plus (” + “) button, and enter the following: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
- Reboot your Mac.
Enjoy The Olympics
Go to the BBC’s Olympics page, and view whatever content you wish. The only problem is that Unblock-Us will change your region for everything, not just the Olympics, so your connection will be slower and unsecured. After you uninstall Unblock-Us after the Olympics are over, everything will be back to normal.
HotTips! Readers! Get Your Own Website In Seconds!
HotTips! is part of the Pryor Media Network, a group of websites driven by premium features that regular website publishing companies won’t give you. With exceptional service, 99% uptime, and a dedication to bringing you a diverse range of function and looks, Pryor Media is an excellent choice to getting your own website! Be like us – Join Pryor Media today!