How To Use An AT&T iPhone On Straight Talk (Tutorials)
Have a spare iPhone lying around gathering dust and want to put it to use without signing a new 2 year contract for it? If so you might want to look into Straight Talk, yes Straight Talk, the company that advertises $45 dollar a month unlimited pay as you go everything packages. If you already have a SIM card from Straight Talk and are looking for information on how to set it up you can find that here too! In order to use the iPhone on Straight Talk you aren’t required to jailbreak or unlock the device, but if you MMS to work the easiest way to get it work is by doing so.
Buying Straight Talk Service
Getting your iPhone to work on Straight Talk requires a SIM card that you can only purchase from their website, if you have a GSM Straight Talk phone you will most likely still need to get the SIM from their website in order for it to work.
- First you’ll need to buy a SIM card. Click Here
- Select AT&T Compatible Phone and the proper type of SIM Card (3GS or earlier users select SIM card 4 or 4S users select micro-SIM card)
- You have the option to purchase the first month of service now or can buy the SIM card only and buy the airtime card from Wal-Mart after receiving the SIM card
- Complete your order
- Bookmark this page wait for the SIM card to arrive.
- After the SIM card arrives follow the activation instructions enclosed with the SIM card
So now you have an iPhone with an Activated Straight Talk SIM card and Mobile Data and MMS are not working properly because the device is still configured for use with AT&T. There are a few ways to set up your device and this guide will talk about the easier methods to use.
Configuring your iPhone to run on the Straight Talk Network
The three options that we will be talking about for setting up your iPhone are in my opinion the easiest ways to configure these settings.
Option 1. Installing a configuration file
The easiest way to get online with your iPhone is by installing a configuration file. There is an upside and a downside for using this method, the upside is it doesn’t require a jailbreak or unlocking the device and you’re set up and ready to go in a couple of minutes. The downside to using this method is there isn’t an option to change MMS settings, so you will be unable to send and receive MMS (Picture) messages
- From your iPhone, Please TAP THIS LINK to get the file.
- Install the configuration file. It was created by us, and is perfectly safe. If you have questions about our credibility, please ask the members of our Facebook page about how much we can be trusted.
Option 2. Jailbreaking and using TetherMe (paid Cydia app)
First you will need to jailbreak your device by following a tutorial. If you are using iOS 5.1.1 click here If you are on a different version of iOS look in our jailbreak section at the top of the page for your device and iOS version number for more information. After your iPhone is jailbroken, follow these instructions
- Open Cydia
- Search for TetherMe and install the package
- Navigate to Settings >General >Network >Cellular Data Settings
- Enter the following information
APN att.mvno Username (leave blank) Password (leave blank) Visual Voicemail Visual Voicemail is not supported by straight talk If you want Visual Voicemail I suggest using Google Voice MMS APN att.mvno Username (leave blank) Password (leave blank) MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com:80 MMS Proxy 126.96.36.199:80 Don’t modify Max MMS size
- Tap the back arrows to get back to the homescreen
- Send a picture message to a friend to test
Option 3. Unlocking the device using UltraSn0w
This is probably the most complicated of the methods used to set up an iPhone to work on Straight Talk, especially since the steps are not entirely necessary. You do not need to be jailbroken to perform this task, but if you are already, unlocking the device with Ultrasn0w from the Cydia store will give you the ability to modify the APN and MMS settings of your iPhone.
If you are jailbroken already, and don’t want to purchase TetherMe for $5, I recommend using Ultrasnw instead. If you’d like to unlock the iPhone with Ultrasn0w, follow the steps below to install it.
- From a Jailbroken iPhone, open Cydia
- Find Ultrasn0w by searching for it, or by looking inside the repo666.ultrasn0w.com repository
- READ ALL INFORMATION REGARDING COMPATIBILITY!! If your device configuration isn’t supported by Ultrasn0w (such as the device having an updated baseband that isn’t compatible), you’ll really mess up your phone badly if you try to install it. The only requirement is that you have a baseband (modem firmware) that matches one item in the baseband compatibility list provided in the description.
- Once you have verified that your device can be unlocked with Ultrasn0w, install the package on your device.
- When the installation has finished, reboot your iPhone.
- After reboot, navigate to Settings.app > General > Network > Cellular Data Network > and enter the settings from above.