This is not confirmed totally yet, but I’m inviting people to try it for themselves and see if it works, because I’ve gotten word from some that it does. This only works with the AT&T (GSM Model) version of the iPhone, to the best of our knowledge at this time. I also can’t say much as far as it working for any other carrier than T-Mobile. I invite you all to try this, and report back please. if I can be sure that it doesn’t work, I’ll remove this. We just want to know (and I don’t have a way of testing it). Thanks.
The process below will supposedly unlock your iPhone 4S, turning into a world phone that you actually can use off of the AT&T Network. So far, it appears this works with iOS 5.0, however, iOS 5.0.1 will break this, so if it does work for you, I highly recommend you never update your iPhone 4S (at least, until other means of doing an unlock are possible).
Whether this does work, or doesn’t for you, I really want your input regardless. Please leave comments in the comments field below, and be sure to tell me whether or not you are trying this with a T-Mobile SIM, or something international. I don’t have anybody saying it works with international carriers, but like I said… it’s good to hear it from you guys.
Again, if it works, Apple is certainly going to stop this from working (or AT&T will), so be sure to not move or update anything afterwords, or you’re not going to be able to do it anymore.
The process does not work with a GeveySIM unlock. You MUST HAVE THE ORIGINAL SIM in order for this to work. Please also note that you’ll need to work quickly in order for this to work, and that some of you “may” have to restore the phone (which has a risk).
Here’s a quote from the person who posted the video below to YouTube:
“When you get the text and vm ignore them. Call 611 ASAP. You got it. You have to be quick for the trick to work. Once you have the signal for a few minutes your safe to reboot and it is unlocked.”
Please note, as with all “tests and unconfirmed” stuff, there is a small risk. Even if I don’t see the risk, it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
Here are the steps:
- Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
- Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
- Turn on Airplane Mode
- Take out AT&T SIM card
- Insert T-Mobile SIM card
- Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
- Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
- Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
- EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
- Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
- Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
- When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
- Eject SIM card
- Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
- Insert SIM card
Here is a video of the process, apparently working. Again, We cannot actually confirm this, until others respond. Again, it’s for iOS 5.0 only, and nothing earlier or later. Please comment below if it works. Thanks!
HotTips! Readers: Get Your Own Website In Seconds!
HotTips! is part of the Pryor Media Network, a group of websites driven by premium features that regular website publishing companies won’t give you. With exceptional service, 99% uptime, and a dedication to bringing you a diverse range of function and looks, Pryor Media is an excellent choice to getting your own website! Be like us – Join Pryor Media today!