I’m still a relatively new Civilization player. I actually got my start playing the game with the current generation of the title, Civilization V. Throughout expansions and stuff, the game has come a long way from it’s start in my experience, now taking on a completely new look and feel about it. Everything about the way diplomacy works, to controlling the world economy, to resting control of the seas (“he who controls the sea, controls everything”), and working on getting my way in the World Congress has all evolved over time – much like your civilization within the game does. Although many Civilization veterans had complaints about the new version, none of them have any idea what to really expect with Civilization Beyond earth.
It’s the ultimate historical strategy game as far as I’m concerned, and although the AI is screwed up in a lot of ways, it’s still a really fun play through (seriously… I was your friend the entire game, what did I do last turn to make you absolutely hate me?). This new version coming in the Fall, however, is going to be a radical change to the franchise. No more is it just about starting in the ancient “we just learned how to grow stuff in the ground” part of history and working towards the present. Now… it’s all about the future. XCOM Squad… it’s time to scout. :)
Here’s the synopsis from the source:
Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ is a new science-fiction-themed entry into the award-winning Civilization series. Set in the future, global events have destabilized the world leading to a collapse of modern society, a new world order and an uncertain future for humanity. As the human race struggles to recover, the re-developed nations focus their resources on deep space travel to chart a new beginning for mankind.
As part of an expedition sent to find a home beyond Earth, you will write the next chapter for humanity as you lead your people into a new frontier and create a new civilization in space. Explore and colonize an alien planet, research new technologies, amass mighty armies, build incredible Wonders and shape the face of your new world. As you embark on your journey you must make critical decisions. From your choice of sponsor and the make-up of your colony, to the ultimate path you choose for your civilization, every decision opens up new possibilities.
- Seed the Adventure: Establish your cultural identity by choosing one of eight different expedition sponsors, each with its own leader and unique gameplay benefits. Assemble your spacecraft, cargo & colonists through a series of choices that directly seed the starting conditions when arriving at the new planet.
- Colonize an Alien World: Explore the dangers and benefits of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources, and hostile life forms unlike those of Earth. Build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for your people.
- Technology Web: To reflect progress forward into an uncertain future, technology advancement occurs through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The technology web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- Quest System: Quests are injected with fiction about the planet, and help to guide you through a series of side-missions that will aid in resource collection, unit upgrades, and advancement through the game.
- Orbital Layer: Build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific units that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
- Unit Customization: Unlock different upgrades through the tech web and customize your units to reflect your play style.
- Multiplayer: Up to 8 players can compete for dominance of a new alien world.
- Mod support: Robust mod support allows you to customize and extend your game experience.
I’m super excited to play within a Civilization Beyond Earth, and will definitely be one of the early adopters of the title. What are your first impressions with this information? From the screenshots of the game below, it looks like they’ll be incorporating the stereotypical “aliens are green” aura that has been accepted in the science-fiction genre so far, and that the graphics could even be improved a bit.
Give me your thoughts in the comments below. Also, while you’re down there… tell me your favorite civilization to play as, and why that civilization works the best for your play style.
– Also… if you’d like to play online sometime, message me and we’ll get together on Brave New World.
HotTips! Readers: Get Great VPS Wordpress Hosting Cheap!
HotTips! Readers can enjoy great savings with a hosting package at Pryor Media! Your WordPress website will never be that slow-loading junk that you get with shared hosts! Learn what makes Pryor Media’s WordPress Hosting different from the rest, and use coupon code “HOTTIPS” to save 20% off of your hosting subscriptions!